MP Assembly reinstates expelled Congress MLAs
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Assembly on Friday passed a resolution restoring the membership of two expelled Congress MLAs but questions remained over their fate after the Election Commission had declared their seats vacant.
At a five-minute special session, the House adopted a resolution reinstating Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi and Kalpana Parulekar, whose membership was terminated on July 18 for unruly behaviour with the chair for which they had expressed regret later.
"Today is a historic day in the parliamentary history of the country as the House will pass a resolution on the restoration of the membership of two Congress MLAs-- Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi and Kalpana Parulekar," Speaker Ishwardas Rohani said.
The resolution moved by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra was passed without any discussion.
The House was immediately adjourned sine die thereafter.
The Assembly will now inform the Election Commission about the restoration of the membership of the two MLAs and urge it to re-issue a notification saying that the two seats held by them, which had earlier been declared vacant, were now filled.
"We do not feel that whatever happened in the Assembly today deserves to be welcomed," Leader of the Opposition Ajay Singh told reporters even as Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan termed it as a "trend setter".
Singh slammed the ruling party for having expelled the MLAs without giving them a chance to put across their views and said the matter should have been referred to the Privileges Committee.
Maintaining that many options were available to the government, he said instead of taking recourse to anyone of those it had chosen the drastic step of terminating the membership of the MLAs. MORE
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital