MP Assembly sittings decline in last 10 years
Bhopal: The number of sittings of the Madhya Pradesh Assembly has gone down during the last 10 years of BJP government in the state, as compared to those held when the Congress was in power.
According to information received from the state Secretariat, a total of 282 sittings of the Assembly were held from 1993 to 1998. The number went up slightly to 288 between 1998 to 2003.
Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh was the chief minister of the state from 1993 to 2003.
Between 2003 and 2008 when the BJP was in power, a total 158 sittings of the Assembly were held. During the second term of the BJP, the number of sittings went up marginally to 167.
Constitutional expert VD Mehta said there was no rule to fix the number of sittings of a House but added that for a healthy democracy, it was essential that the working of a government was discussed in the Assembly.
Congress leaders, including state party unit vice president Manak Agarwal, have often said that the BJP does not want more sittings of the Assembly as it wants to avoid discussion on the work done by its government.
New MP Assembly Speaker Dr Sita Sharan said the Opposition, instead of resorting to personal attacks, should concentrate on raising the problems of the people and attack the government for its policies and decisions.
Sriniwas Tiwari, who was the Speaker during the Congress rule from 1993 to 2003, claimed it was for the ruling party to convene sitting of the House and any government that that does not do so is shying away from its responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch