MP bans Gutka products containing tobacco
New Delhi: With increasing number of mouth
cancer cases in the country, Madhya Pradesh has become the
first state to ban all Gutka products which contain tobacco or
nicotine under a new law governing food safety standards.
The Madhya Pradesh Food Secretary has issued instructions
to all District Collectors and Food Safety officials to ensure
that the sale and manufacture of all Ghutka products in their
areas is not allowed and all such material containing tobacco
and nicotine be confiscated.
The ban came into effect from April 1.
The State Food Secretary has also called for initiating
action under the rules against all those indulging in sale and
manufacture of Gutka products containing Tobacco and
Madhya Pradesh is the first state to ban Gutka under the
Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition & Restrictions on
sales) Regulation 2011 notified by the Food Safety & Standards
Authority of India (FSSAI).
Goa was the first state to ban Gutka under Public Health
The Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
notification effective August 5, 2011, called as Food Safety &
Standards (Prohibition & Restrictions on sales) Regulation
2011, wherein Rules 2.3.4 states that no food article shall
contain tobacco or nicotine in the products.
Its flavoured taste, easy availability and low price as
well as the attractive marketing ploy by companies also
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested