MP by-elections: It`s all in the family for both BJP and Cong
Bhopal: The choice of candidates of the ruling BJP and the opposition Congress for February 14 by-elections in two assembly constituencies of Madhya Pradesh
only reaffirms that politics here is still a family business.
The by-polls are being held in the Kukshi and Sonkatch constituencies, both of which had returned Congress MLAs in 2008.
Election in Kukshi became necessary following the death of Jamuna Devi who was first elected from there in 1952.
Sonkatch seat fell vacant because MLA Sajjan Singh Verma was elected to the Lok Sabha in 2009.
The BJP candidate in Kukshi is Mukam Singh Kirade, the husband of the state Minister for Women and Child Development, Ranjana Baghel. Its candidate at Sonkatch is Rajendra Verma, the son of former MP, Phoolchand Verma.
The Congress nominee from Kukshi is Jamuna Devi`s niece, Nisha Singar; while its candidate from Sonkatch is Arjun Verma, nephew of the MP Sajjan Singh Verma.
The by-elections have become a matter of prestige for both the parties.
Both Kukshi and Sonkatch had traditionally been Congress seats and BJP is trying its best to create an upset this time.
The elections are also the first major test for the State BJP president Prabhat Jha, who took over only last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks