MP church authorities mull Wakf-like Board
Bhopal: Top church authorities in Madhya Pradesh have sought that a proposal mooted by some Christian community representatives for a Wakf-like Board for managing properties of church and allied institutions be prepared in `black and white` and brought before it for consideration.
"Few representatives of the Christian community had approached us sometime back with a proposal for the constitution of a Wakf-like Board for managing properties of the church and allied institutions," the Archbishop of Bhopal Diocese Leo Cornelio said.
"Instead of rejecting the idea, I have asked them to come with the detailed proposal in `black and white` for seeing its viability," the archbishop said.
The proposal to form a Wakf board like institution was moved by Madhya Pradesh Minorities Commission member Anand Bernard.
"The proposal is under discussion and once we finalise it after holding consultations with all concerned it will be sent to the government for approval," Bernard said.
"There is no dearth of laws as such to deal with the issue of managing properties. If there is a law but there is no will to enforce it then there is no point in having another law over it," Cornelio said.
"As such Catholic properties including churches, schools, hospitals and other institutions are very well managed in the state, but there is problem with a few churches," he said.
"Under no circumstances the proposed authority should have any power to interfere with the religious, educational and other social activities of the church," he maintained.
"We will discuss the proposal in detail in our council before arriving at any decision on it," Cornelio said.
Meanwhile, on giving compulsory admission under RTE to BPL category children, Cornelio said the Supreme Court has also clarified that it is not applicable to minority institutions.
Missionary schools are already doing a lot for the underprivileged community, he said adding that the government should improve the infrastructure and quality of education in government schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar