MP church authorities mull Wakf-like Board
Bhopal: Top church authorities in Madhya Pradesh have sought that a proposal mooted by some Christian community representatives for a Wakf-like Board for managing properties of church and allied institutions be prepared in `black and white` and brought before it for consideration.
"Few representatives of the Christian community had approached us sometime back with a proposal for the constitution of a Wakf-like Board for managing properties of the church and allied institutions," the Archbishop of Bhopal Diocese Leo Cornelio said.
"Instead of rejecting the idea, I have asked them to come with the detailed proposal in `black and white` for seeing its viability," the archbishop said.
The proposal to form a Wakf board like institution was moved by Madhya Pradesh Minorities Commission member Anand Bernard.
"The proposal is under discussion and once we finalise it after holding consultations with all concerned it will be sent to the government for approval," Bernard said.
"There is no dearth of laws as such to deal with the issue of managing properties. If there is a law but there is no will to enforce it then there is no point in having another law over it," Cornelio said.
"As such Catholic properties including churches, schools, hospitals and other institutions are very well managed in the state, but there is problem with a few churches," he said.
"Under no circumstances the proposed authority should have any power to interfere with the religious, educational and other social activities of the church," he maintained.
"We will discuss the proposal in detail in our council before arriving at any decision on it," Cornelio said.
Meanwhile, on giving compulsory admission under RTE to BPL category children, Cornelio said the Supreme Court has also clarified that it is not applicable to minority institutions.
Missionary schools are already doing a lot for the underprivileged community, he said adding that the government should improve the infrastructure and quality of education in government schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy