MP CM blesses 81 Muslim girls, calls them his nieces
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan blessed 81 Muslim girls on Monday on the occasion of their nikaah (marriage) under the state government`s Mukhyamantri Kanyadan Yojna at Nasrullaganj in neighbouring Sehore district.
Describing himself as "maternal uncle" of the brides, Chouhan said it is the marriage ceremony of "his nieces" and therefore he extends wholehearted welcome to all guests.
The senior BJP leader said Madhya Pradesh government functions with a "spirit of respecting all religions" and he would leave no stone unturned to ensure "welfare of minorities".
Chouhan exhorted those present on the occasion not to discriminate between sons and daughters, adding that his government is committed to bring all sections of society to the mainstream.
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day