MP CM demands Rs 5,700 crore economic package for farmers
New Delhi: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Thursday met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and sought a Rs 5,700 crore package for farmers in the state who suffered loss to crops due to unseasonal rains and hailstorm.
During the meeting, Chouhan apprised Shinde that houses, livestock and infrastructure including roads, electrical transformers were also badly affected.
"I have urged the Home Minister to announce an economic package of Rs 5,723 crore for the relief and rehabilitation of those who were affected due to the unseasonal rains and hailstorm," he told reporters here after the meeting.
Chouhan said he has requested the central government to waive loans taken by the farmers and speedy clearance of all insurance claims.
The chief minister had earlier requested President Pranab Mukherjee to intervene in the matter and declare the situation a national calamity.
Almost all 51 districts in Madhya Pradesh have been affected by unseasonal rains and hailstorm. Excessive rainfall has badly affected the crops of gram, wheat, vegetables and horticulture.
In August, September and October 2013 also, the state witnessed massive floods due to excessive monsoon rains and this had an adverse affect on the soyabean crop.
Chouhan also requested to Decemberem the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for gram as Rs 3,100 per quintal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy