MP CM drags Ajay Singh to court for defamation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday filed a criminal defamation case against Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly, Ajay Singh, for harming his and his wife Sadhna`s reputation.
The plaint-petition was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pandey here. It demands damages of Rs one crore from the Leader of the Opposition.
Ajay, making corruption accusations against the couple, had reportedly dubbed Chouhan`s wife as `money counting machine` at a rally at Khargone on June 4 and Sagar on June 9 this year.
Petitioners Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Sadhna Chouhan seek that court should direct Ajay Singh to pay Rs one crore. The amount would be used to rehabilitate the families affected by recent tragedy in Uttarakhand, adds the petition.
The baseless allegations were damaging as they were published in widely circulated dailies in the state, it says.
The court would record the statements of Chouhan and his wife on July 30.
Earlier, the Chief Minister had issued a legal notice to Ajay, demanding unconditional apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?