MP CM drags Ajay Singh to court for defamation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday filed a criminal defamation case against Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly, Ajay Singh, for harming his and his wife Sadhna`s reputation.
The plaint-petition was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pandey here. It demands damages of Rs one crore from the Leader of the Opposition.
Ajay, making corruption accusations against the couple, had reportedly dubbed Chouhan`s wife as `money counting machine` at a rally at Khargone on June 4 and Sagar on June 9 this year.
Petitioners Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Sadhna Chouhan seek that court should direct Ajay Singh to pay Rs one crore. The amount would be used to rehabilitate the families affected by recent tragedy in Uttarakhand, adds the petition.
The baseless allegations were damaging as they were published in widely circulated dailies in the state, it says.
The court would record the statements of Chouhan and his wife on July 30.
Earlier, the Chief Minister had issued a legal notice to Ajay, demanding unconditional apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police
- India vs New Zealand: Indore gears up to host its first ever Test in upcoming series
- Major success! Army busts new terror outfit 'Helem Tiger Force' in Assam's Kokrajhar