MP CM drags Ajay Singh to court for defamation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday filed a criminal defamation case against Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly, Ajay Singh, for harming his and his wife Sadhna`s reputation.
The plaint-petition was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pandey here. It demands damages of Rs one crore from the Leader of the Opposition.
Ajay, making corruption accusations against the couple, had reportedly dubbed Chouhan`s wife as `money counting machine` at a rally at Khargone on June 4 and Sagar on June 9 this year.
Petitioners Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Sadhna Chouhan seek that court should direct Ajay Singh to pay Rs one crore. The amount would be used to rehabilitate the families affected by recent tragedy in Uttarakhand, adds the petition.
The baseless allegations were damaging as they were published in widely circulated dailies in the state, it says.
The court would record the statements of Chouhan and his wife on July 30.
Earlier, the Chief Minister had issued a legal notice to Ajay, demanding unconditional apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8