MP CM drags Ajay Singh to court for defamation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday filed a criminal defamation case against Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly, Ajay Singh, for harming his and his wife Sadhna`s reputation.
The plaint-petition was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pandey here. It demands damages of Rs one crore from the Leader of the Opposition.
Ajay, making corruption accusations against the couple, had reportedly dubbed Chouhan`s wife as `money counting machine` at a rally at Khargone on June 4 and Sagar on June 9 this year.
Petitioners Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Sadhna Chouhan seek that court should direct Ajay Singh to pay Rs one crore. The amount would be used to rehabilitate the families affected by recent tragedy in Uttarakhand, adds the petition.
The baseless allegations were damaging as they were published in widely circulated dailies in the state, it says.
The court would record the statements of Chouhan and his wife on July 30.
Earlier, the Chief Minister had issued a legal notice to Ajay, demanding unconditional apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16