MP CM drags Ajay Singh to court for defamation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Friday filed a criminal defamation case against Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in state Assembly, Ajay Singh, for harming his and his wife Sadhna`s reputation.
The plaint-petition was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pandey here. It demands damages of Rs one crore from the Leader of the Opposition.
Ajay, making corruption accusations against the couple, had reportedly dubbed Chouhan`s wife as `money counting machine` at a rally at Khargone on June 4 and Sagar on June 9 this year.
Petitioners Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Sadhna Chouhan seek that court should direct Ajay Singh to pay Rs one crore. The amount would be used to rehabilitate the families affected by recent tragedy in Uttarakhand, adds the petition.
The baseless allegations were damaging as they were published in widely circulated dailies in the state, it says.
The court would record the statements of Chouhan and his wife on July 30.
Earlier, the Chief Minister had issued a legal notice to Ajay, demanding unconditional apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing