MP CM favours capital punishment for rapists
Bhopal: Strongly recommending capital punishment for rapists, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has suggested various measures to the Chief Justice (retd) J S Varma Committee for stringent legal provisions to curb the growing crimes of rape and violence.
The suggestions were forwarded by Chouhan yesterday to the
Varma committee which was constituted by the Centre in the wake of the recent New Delhi gangrape case, official sources said today.
Besides recommending capital punishment for rapists, Chouhan also recommended that it should also be given in cases where the rape victim commits suicide or contracts HIV/STD diseases within a year of rape.
The Chief Minister also suggested to enhance the period of
punishment from present seven to fourteen years under section 376 (1) and (2) of the IPC.
Referring to the cases where mutual trust is betrayed between individuals specially in relationships like teacher and students, Chouhan suggested that Criminal Law Amendment Bill, 2012 must take care of this situation.
Drivers and conductors of transport vehicles should also
be held responsible for the crime committed in their vehicles.
He further suggested that like the perpetrator, victim should also be given an opportunity to be heard during trial on the ground of concept of equality before the final judgement is pronounced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row