MP Cong workers protest sharp rise in rape case
Bhopal: Congress workers led by Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh assembly Ajay Singh, Friday courted arrests outside the residence of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan to protest against sharp rise in the incidents of rape in the State.
Quoting the figures given by the state Home Minister, Congress said that around 2,660 rapes had taken place in Madhya Pradesh in the first 10 months of this year out of which 255 were gang-rapes and 26 of the rape victims had committed suicide while 20 were murdered.
Congress had announced that it would organise a three kilometre long march from Jawahar Bhawan to the Chief Minister`s residence and large number of party workers had gathered for the march.
The police had made arrangements to stop the march before it reached the CM`s residence.
Ajay Singh, however, managed to dodge the police and reached the gate of the CM`s residence, sat on a dharna and also sent message to Congress workers to start the march.
Police were taken by surprise on seeing the Leader of the Opposition in front of Chief Minister`s residence and detained him and other workers. Some of whom who resisted were bodily lifted and taken to police jeeps.
In a statement, the State Congress President, Kanti Lal Bhuria charged that the police resorted to lathi-charge on Congress workers.
A senior police official, however, denied that there was lathi-charge and said that police used mild force to control Congress workers who appeared bent on going to Chief Minister`s residence.
In a memorandum submitted to the Chief Minister, Congress demanded that rapists should be given life imprisonment and the government should set up special teams to look into incidents of rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail