MP Congress leader Jamuna Devi cremated
Indore: The mortal remains of Congress veteran and Leader of Opposition in Madhya Pradesh Assembly Jamuna Devi was on Saturday consigned to flames with full state
honour at a local crematorium.
Deviating from tradition, her only daugher Hemlata lit the funeral pyre amid chanting of mantras. Devi (81), a former Madhya Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister, breathed her last yesterday at C H L Apollo Hospital where she was being treated for pancreatic cancer for the last couple of months.
People from all walks of life were present to pay their last respect to the departed soul. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, Union Ministers Kantilal Bhuria, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Arun Yadav, Congress General Secretary in-charge of Madhya Pradesh B K Hariprasad and State Congress President Suresh Pachouri, among others, paid tribute to her. Yadav, on behalf of Congress President Sonia Gandhi, laid a wreath on the mortal remains of Devi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price