MP Congress workers stage protest; want Home Minister to quit
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Congress Minority Department activists staged a protest against rising crime against women, especially rape cases, in the state and demanded resignation of Home Minister Umashankar Gupta.
The activists, led by department Convenor Arif Masood, gathered at Budhwara square in the Old City area and shouted slogans against the BJP government last evening. They also burnt an effigy of Gupta.
They alleged that the Minister has totally failed in maintaining law and order in the State and hence he should resign from his post immediately.
On one side the Chief Minister was talking about saving the girl child under his (beti bachao) plan and on the other, girls and women were being gang-raped, Masood said in a press release.
A total of 1,262 cases were registered in the State in the last one year and 35 rape victims had allegedly committed suicide during this period, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred