MP court to decide on Bhopal waste disposal
Jabalpur: The Jabalpur Bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, Thursday, is expected to take up the intervention appeal filed Maharashtra government against the court’s July 12 order to incinerate toxic waste from the former Union Carbide plant in the Defence Research and Development Organisation facility at Butibori near Nagpur.
The disposal of the waste lying in Carbide`s defunct plant (from where the toxic gas had leaked in 1984, killing thousands) has become a contentious issue, with the Maharashtra Government categorically stating that it would not allow the toxic waste from the Carbide plant to be disposed of in the state.
Moreover, the state government has already decided that it will move the Supreme Court if the High Court decides against it.
Interestingly, Madhya Pradesh High Court had earlier directed that the waste be disposed of at the Defence Research and Development Organisation`s Ankleshwar facility in Gujarat, but the Gujarat government moved the apex court against it.
Maharashtra government is claiming that Madhya Pradesh had not sought a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from it, and also that there is a facility in Pithampur near Indore to treat such waste and hence the waste should be disposed of within the state itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day