MP: Dalits beaten up for not standing up to show respect
Chhatarpur (MP): A few Dalits were on Wednesday allegedly beaten up by people belonging to an upper caste for
not standing up to show respect at the wedding of a dalit
couple in Raura village near here, police said.
The wedding could not proceed because of this incident
last night. It took place later, this morning.
Case had been filed against three persons, police said,
but no one has been yet arrested.
According to police, Bal Kisan, Rajju Raja, Vikram Singh
and others, all upper caste men, took offence when the dalits
at an entertainment programme preceding the wedding did not
stand up upon their arrival.
Police Inspector Purshottam said that Kisan and others
assaulted the members of dalit community.
One Dilip Basor, from Mahoba district, Uttar Pradesh, was
to tie the knot with Batti Devi, hailing from the village.
After the incident, the victims went to the police
station, and the marriage was solemnised next morning, with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged