MP: Dalits beaten up for not standing up to show respect
Chhatarpur (MP): A few Dalits were on Wednesday allegedly beaten up by people belonging to an upper caste for
not standing up to show respect at the wedding of a dalit
couple in Raura village near here, police said.
The wedding could not proceed because of this incident
last night. It took place later, this morning.
Case had been filed against three persons, police said,
but no one has been yet arrested.
According to police, Bal Kisan, Rajju Raja, Vikram Singh
and others, all upper caste men, took offence when the dalits
at an entertainment programme preceding the wedding did not
stand up upon their arrival.
Police Inspector Purshottam said that Kisan and others
assaulted the members of dalit community.
One Dilip Basor, from Mahoba district, Uttar Pradesh, was
to tie the knot with Batti Devi, hailing from the village.
After the incident, the victims went to the police
station, and the marriage was solemnised next morning, with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?