MP demands Rs 500 cr package for calamity-hit farmers
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has demanded a Rs 500 crore special package from the Union government for providing relief to calamity affected farmers in the state.
Chouhan has written letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde in this regard, an official release said here on Friday.
Madhya Pradesh has witnessed frost, excessive rains and hailstorm from January 4 to March 17 this year. This has caused loss to crops on 7,74,000 hectares of land in 13,445 villages of 40 districts, he said.
Besides, 32 people lost their lives and 200 cattle heads perished. These spells of natural calamities have caused loss to the tune of about Rs 2,000 crore.
Assessment is still underway and figures of estimates of loss may rise further, he mentioned in the letter.
Relief is provided to affected farmers under the State Disaster Relief Fund (SDRF), but it will fall short in view of the quantum of loss. Therefore, a Rs 500 crore special package should also be given in addition to relief given under the SDRF, Chouhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note