MP demands Rs 500 cr package for calamity-hit farmers
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has demanded a Rs 500 crore special package from the Union government for providing relief to calamity affected farmers in the state.
Chouhan has written letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde in this regard, an official release said here on Friday.
Madhya Pradesh has witnessed frost, excessive rains and hailstorm from January 4 to March 17 this year. This has caused loss to crops on 7,74,000 hectares of land in 13,445 villages of 40 districts, he said.
Besides, 32 people lost their lives and 200 cattle heads perished. These spells of natural calamities have caused loss to the tune of about Rs 2,000 crore.
Assessment is still underway and figures of estimates of loss may rise further, he mentioned in the letter.
Relief is provided to affected farmers under the State Disaster Relief Fund (SDRF), but it will fall short in view of the quantum of loss. Therefore, a Rs 500 crore special package should also be given in addition to relief given under the SDRF, Chouhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon