MP govt announces wheat at Rs 1 per kg for poor in election year
Bhopal: With an eye on the Assembly polls due later this year, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Saturday announced that wheat, rice and iodised salt would be provided at highly subsidised rates to below-poverty-line and `Antyodaya` families.
Wheat and salt would be provided at Rs 1 per kg and rice at Rs 2 per kg under the Mukhyamantri Annapurna Scheme, official sources said.
The scheme will start from June 1.
The decision will put a burden of Rs 360 crore on the government and benefit eight lakh Antyodaya families and 56 lakh BPL families, covering nearly 3.5 crore people, almost half the population of the state.
At present, Antyodaya families get 35 kg of food grains and BPL families get 20 kg of food grains per month at subsidised rates: wheat at Rs 2 per kg and rice at Rs 3 per kg. Under the Centre`s proposed Food Security Bill, same rates are contemplated.
Earlier, subsidised iodised salt was provided only to tribal families, the new scheme would extend the benefit to a wider section of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks