MP govt assures HC on maintaining peace at Bhojshala
Indore: The Madhya Pradesh government on Thursday assured the Indore bench of the High Court that it has made adequate arrangements to maintain peace at Bhojshala in Dhar district on the occasion of Basant Panchmi festival.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by the Muslim Personal Law Board Member, Arif Masood, apprehending trouble at the disputed Bhojshala-Kamaal Moula Mosque site on February 14-15.
The division bench of Justice Shantanu Kemkar and Justice MC Garg disposed off the petition after getting assurance from the state government.
State`s Additional Advocate General Manoj Dwivedi brought to the notice of the bench the security arrangements made at Dhar for Basant Panchmi festival on Friday, the day Muslims offer Namaz at the ancient monument.
He also informed the court that the concerned officials were in touch with members of both the communities to defuse tension.
Masood had filed a PIL yesterday seeking directions from the court to the state government to ensure that the order issued by the Archaeological Survey of India, which takes care of the monument, permitting puja and namaz be followed in letter and spirit.
Meanwhile, Kashi Sumeru Peeth`s Shankracharya Swami Narendranand Saraswati today termed the decision of ASI to permit namaz on the occasion of Basant Panchmi festival as "unjustified".
Before heading to Dhar from Indore, the Shanracharya told reporters "the decision of ASI to conduct puja and namaz on the occasion of Basant Panchmi festival is totally unjustified."
He warned that if the state government tried to enforce the ASI order, it will have to face serious consequences.Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta also said today in Bhopal that the directives given by the Centre in this regard would be followed and both puja and namaz will be offered in the town as per the schedule given by the ASI.
Meanwhile, the situation in Dhar remained tense but under control with devotees celebrating Basant Panchmi from today itself as ASI permitted the majority community to perform puja from the sunrise to sunset.
The Dhar town has virtually turned into a fortress with over 5,000 policemen deployed to maintain peace.
The ASI has allowed Hindus to perform puja on February 14-15 in the Bhojshala premises, while Muslims can offer prayers on February 15 between 12 noon and 3.30 PM.
The ownership of the Bhojshala complex has long been a matter of dispute between the two communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India