MP govt constitutes judicial panel to probe Datia stampede
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Government on Tuesday announced constitution of a commission to be headed by Justice (retd) Rakesh Saksena of the high court to probe the Ratangarh temple stampede in which 115 people were killed and many injured.
The decision to appoint Justice (retd) Saksena of the Madhya Pradesh high court was taken by chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, official sources said.
The one-member panel, to be headquartered at Gwalior, is mandated to probe the circumstances that led to the stampede on Sunday and the role of district and police officials concerned.
The commission will have to submit its report, along with recommendations, within two months.
A total of 115 people were killed and scores of others injured following a stampede on a bridge over Sindh river leading to a temple in Datia district on October 13.
Meanwhile, taking a suo motu cognisance of the case, the Madhya Pradesh Human Rights Commission (MPHRC) has issued a notice to the state chief secretary and the DGP directing them to file their reply on the tragedy within a week.
MPHRC chairman, Justice AK Saxena issued the notice directing them to reply on various issues including lapses and action taken by the government against those responsible for the stampede.
The state government has already suspended a total of 21 officials and policemen including Datia district Collector and Superintendent of Police in the wake of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery