MP govt files undertaking in HC in Power plant row
Jabalpur: Against the backdrop of growing opposition to acquisition of land for a power plant in Katni district, the Madhya Pradesh government today filed an undertaking in the High Court stating that it will not go ahead till the final hearing on a PIL in this regard is held.
The single bench of Justice R S Jha has fixed the final hearing of the case on November 27.
Farmers from Bujbuja and Dokaria villages in the district had filed a public interest litigation opposing acquisition of land for the Welspun Power plant.
In their PIL Barhi resident Anand Tiwari, along with 50 farmers, stated that their agriculture land is the only source of livelihood for them.
The petitioners had said that in the public interest it was not feasible to acquire agriculture land for an industry alleging that administrative officials were forcing them to give up their land for the power plant by violating rules for the land acquisition process.
The notice for the land acquisition too was not published properly and the affected farmers were not given an opportunity to give their stand on the issue, the PIL said.
"The undertaking said that till the final hearing of the case, the land will not be acquired for the power plant," said petitioner`s advocate Vivek Rusia.
To oppose the acquisition, farmers in two villages had set up funeral pyres on their fields and threatened to set themselves on fire in case of any coercion.
WEMPL has proposed to set up a Greenfield thermal power plant of 1980 MW (3X660MW) capacity at Bujbuja in Barhi tehsil of the district and had inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the state government on November 24, 2009, in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?
- East India's first cadaver liver transplant in Kolkata