MP govt recommends dismissal of suspended IAS officer Joshi
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh government has recommended to the Centre dismissal of suspended IAS officer Arvind Joshi from whose residence Rs 3 crore cash and other assets had been recovered following the Income Tax raids in 2010.
Arvind and Tinu Joshi, both 1979 batch IAS officers, had come into national focus after the income tax department raids at their residence in February, 2010, which unearthed assets valued at Rs 360 crore. While Arvind Joshi was posted as Principal Secretary of Jail, his wife was Secretary in the Women and Child Development Department.
Following the raids, the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government had immediately suspended the IAS couple and started an inquiry by former chief secretary Nirmala Buch.
Talking to reporters here today, Chouhan said cash worth Rs 3 crore had been seized along with other property documents from Joshi` residence who was unable to explain the sources of income.
According to Chouhan, following the raids, the state government had sought the details of the case from the I-T Department.
After the I-T Department report, an inquiry was conducted by the Economic Offences Wing, Chouhan said adding another inquiry into the whole episode was conducted by Nirmala Buch.
He said Joshi was given ample opportunity to present his case during the inquiry but he was unable to explain the source of such a huge amount of cash and other property.
The Chief Minister said that on the basis of Buch`s report, the state government had recommended the dismissal of Joshi to the Centre.
Asked about Tinu Joshi, the Chief Minister said since they had received the report about her very late, they are yet to decide about an action against her.
Meanwhile, following talks with the Centre today, the proposed dharna on April 30 to protest against the shortage of gunny bags in the state, has been called off, Chouhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'