MP govt refuses to take blame for spiralling onion prices
Bhopal: As soaring onion prices bring tears to the eyes of consumers, Madhya Pradesh government has refuted the charges of Delhi government that the state was hoarding the staple vegetable, leading to its price upsurge.
Onion prices going north is becoming a major election issue in the state, slated to go for polls around the year end.
"The state government has no role in the rocketing prices of onions in Delhi and the charges levelled by Delhi government have no substance in it," MP Food and Civil Supplies Minister Paras Jain told a news agency today.
Delhi`s food and civil supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf had recently accused the Madhya Pradesh government of not taking action against hoarders in the state "with a purpose".
"In the political season, such allegations are being levelled by the opponents," he said, while terming the charges as "politically motivated and baseless."
The farmers have stored their produce in cold storage and they are directly selling their produce in the open market in which government has no role to play, Jain said.
"The government will not interfere in the matter where farmers were getting directly benefited," he stressed.
Delhi gets its supply of onions from a number of states, including Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra. Onion prices have gone up to Rs 80 per kg in the city`s retail market after stabilising to around Rs 55 earlier this month.
Notably, the sky rocketing onions prices led to the BJP government`s downfall in Delhi in 1998 while in Madhya Pradesh, the issue played a major role in Congress government`s second consecutive victory the same year.
In 2003, a BJP campaign in MP even coined a slogan - "Kande (onion) ki sarkar, kandhe par jayegi" (the government formed because of onions will be ousted out of power).
Onion prices is again becoming a major poll issue in MP with politicians leaving no stone unturned to ensure that people get enough staples for their daily needs.
During Raksha Bandhan festival, state Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta gave a bag of a kg of onions to large number of women who tied the thread of brotherhood to him.
Former Congress MLA PC Sharma had set up a kiosk at a local market selling onions at Rs 5 per kg during that time. He had said if during elections the onion prices do not come down, he will again sell it at Rs 5 per kg to poor people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25