MP Govt to import and sell sugar at cheaper rates
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Government would
import sugar and disburse it at cheaper rates in retail
markets to check its soaring prices.
"The first consignment of 50,000 metric tons of sugar
from Brazil is likely to reach the state in March," Madhya
Pradesh Minister of State for Food, Civil Supplies and
Consumer Protection (Independent Charge) Paras Chandra Jain
He said the imported lot of sugar will be sold at around
Rs 27 or 28 per kg in the open market, adding tenders for
importing sugar were invited around three months ago.
Jain said imported sugar will be sold at the procurement
rate and the state won`t earn any profit out of it.
"We are going to import more sugar in the days to come to
pump in sugar at a cheaper rate in the state given that the
price of the sweetener is out of the reach of the poor," he
The sugar in MP was being sold around Rs 37 to 38 per kg
in the retail market, according to reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US