MP Govt to import and sell sugar at cheaper rates
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Government would
import sugar and disburse it at cheaper rates in retail
markets to check its soaring prices.
"The first consignment of 50,000 metric tons of sugar
from Brazil is likely to reach the state in March," Madhya
Pradesh Minister of State for Food, Civil Supplies and
Consumer Protection (Independent Charge) Paras Chandra Jain
He said the imported lot of sugar will be sold at around
Rs 27 or 28 per kg in the open market, adding tenders for
importing sugar were invited around three months ago.
Jain said imported sugar will be sold at the procurement
rate and the state won`t earn any profit out of it.
"We are going to import more sugar in the days to come to
pump in sugar at a cheaper rate in the state given that the
price of the sweetener is out of the reach of the poor," he
The sugar in MP was being sold around Rs 37 to 38 per kg
in the retail market, according to reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country