MP Govt `unhappy` over GoM meet on Bhopal gas leak
New Delhi: Madhya Pradesh government today
expressed unhappiness over the assistance package finalised by
the Group of Ministers (GoM) for Bhopal gas disaster victims.
"Whatever we have asked, we got very little. We expressed
our anger and unhappiness at the meeting. As against our
demand of total assistance of Rs 5,000 crore for gas victims,
we have been given a package of Rs 1,332.75 crore which is
less," Madhya Pradesh Minister for Bhopal Gas Tragedy Relief
and Rehabilitation Babulal Gaur told reporters here.
He said the state government is spending Rs 45 crore on
treatment of gas victims since 1999. "The Centre has approved
only Rs 33.55 crore which is insufficient."
Gaur said on the very first day of the meeting he had made
six demands including extradition of Union Carbide former
Chief Warren Anderson to India and filing of curative petition
against dilution of charges against the accused in the case.
When asked about former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
Arjun Singh`s role in the escape of Anderson, he said, "Not
only Arjun Singh helped him leave the country, but the then
Central government too."
Briefing about the meeting, Gaur said, "We have asked the
Centre to destroy the toxic waste lying in the Union carbide
factory in Bhopal and sought Centre`s help. The GoM agreed to
provide help in cleaning up the site."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested