MP HC acquits two death row convicts
Jabalpur: Madhya Pradesh High Court Wednesday acquitted a married man and his girlfriend, who were given death sentence by a local court for murdering his wife.
The single bench of Justice Rakesh Saxena acquitted the duo on the ground that the victim identified as Reena in her statement to police prior to her dying declaration had said that she suffered burn injuries in stove explosion.
In her initial statement given to police on October 11, 2011, Reena had claimed that she had suffered burn injuries in explosion of stove. However, in her dying declaration the victim had said her husband Jeetendra and the woman he was having an affair with set her ablaze.
The lower court in its July 10 order had held Jeetendra and the another woman guilty and awarded them capital punishment for Reena`s murder.
The two challenged the verdict in the High Court.
Justice Saxena in his order cited the ruling of the Supreme Court under which the statement given by the deceased person earlier should be treated as correct and acquitted the duo in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray