MP HC acquits two death row convicts
Jabalpur: Madhya Pradesh High Court Wednesday acquitted a married man and his girlfriend, who were given death sentence by a local court for murdering his wife.
The single bench of Justice Rakesh Saxena acquitted the duo on the ground that the victim identified as Reena in her statement to police prior to her dying declaration had said that she suffered burn injuries in stove explosion.
In her initial statement given to police on October 11, 2011, Reena had claimed that she had suffered burn injuries in explosion of stove. However, in her dying declaration the victim had said her husband Jeetendra and the woman he was having an affair with set her ablaze.
The lower court in its July 10 order had held Jeetendra and the another woman guilty and awarded them capital punishment for Reena`s murder.
The two challenged the verdict in the High Court.
Justice Saxena in his order cited the ruling of the Supreme Court under which the statement given by the deceased person earlier should be treated as correct and acquitted the duo in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair