MP HC orders CBI probe into Ratangarh Devi temple stampede
Gwalior: The MP High Court`s Gwalior Bench on Tuesday ordered a CBI probe into the Ratangarh Devi temple stampede case, which claimed 115 lives in Datia district, on October 13, during the Navratri festival.
The Division Bench of Justice SK Gangele and Justice GD Saxena ordered CBI probe into the case after a petition filed by RTI activist Gaurav Pandey.
The petitioner said that though the MP government had constituted a judicial commission and the State`s Human Rights Commission is also probing the matter, victims would get justice only when the CBI probes the case.
The bench directed the CBI to probe whether police had charged bribes from pilgrims for passing through the bridge, if any rumour were spread that the bridge is about to collapse, whether policemen had thrown dead and injured pilgrims into the Sindh river and whether there was any negligence on the part of the police before or after the tragedy.
The court also directed the CBI to probe the role of then Collector and Superintendent of Police (SP) as well as other officials in its probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez