MP HC orders CBI probe into Ratangarh Devi temple stampede
Gwalior: The MP High Court`s Gwalior Bench on Tuesday ordered a CBI probe into the Ratangarh Devi temple stampede case, which claimed 115 lives in Datia district, on October 13, during the Navratri festival.
The Division Bench of Justice SK Gangele and Justice GD Saxena ordered CBI probe into the case after a petition filed by RTI activist Gaurav Pandey.
The petitioner said that though the MP government had constituted a judicial commission and the State`s Human Rights Commission is also probing the matter, victims would get justice only when the CBI probes the case.
The bench directed the CBI to probe whether police had charged bribes from pilgrims for passing through the bridge, if any rumour were spread that the bridge is about to collapse, whether policemen had thrown dead and injured pilgrims into the Sindh river and whether there was any negligence on the part of the police before or after the tragedy.
The court also directed the CBI to probe the role of then Collector and Superintendent of Police (SP) as well as other officials in its probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Impact of Brexit on Mahindra Group will be muted: CFO
- Donald Trump says Britons ''took back control of their country'
- Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan laud Shekhar Kapur's daughter's soul-stirring debut song – Watch
- China mounts rescue efforts as tornado toll hits 98
- Bollywood smitten with Harshvardhan Kapoor's theatrics in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's 'Mirzya' trailer!-- See tweets