MP High Court allows to open Union Carbide factory
Jabalpur: Twenty five years after Bhopal gas
tragedy that claimed thousands of lives and left hundreds
maimed, Madhya Pradesh High Court on Wednesday allowed state
government to open the defunct Union Carbide Factory for
public next month.
A division bench of MP High Court comprising Justice Arun
Mishra and K S Chouhan permitted the state government to open
the Union Carbide factory at Bhopal under tight security and
surveillance for condolence meetings and public view on the
occasion of the 25th anniversary of gas tragedy after the
state advocate general R D Jain moved a petition.
The state government had moved the petition following
the restriction imposed on opening the factory by the High
Court which is hearing a PIL seeking safe disposal of huge
dumps of toxic waste lying in the factory causing pollution in
the vicinity of the defunct unit.
The state government has demanded opening of the factory
for a prayer meeting and public view on December 2 and 3 on
25th anniversary of world`s worst industrial disaster took
place in 1984.
High Court has given us permission to open the Union
Carbide factory, State Urban Administration and Development
and Bhopal Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Minister, Babulal
Gaur told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'