MP House adjourned over I-T raids on two bizmen
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Assembly was adjourned till tomorrow after noisy scenes were witnessed today in the House over main Opposition Congress` demand for a discussion over income tax raids on two businessmen here.
After the Question Hour ended, Opposition Congress members led by Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh insisted that the House discuss the issue of raids conducted last month against the two businessmen -- Dilip Singh Suryavanshi and Sudhir Sharma -- known to be close to the ruling BJP.
Responding to this, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra said the House rules did not allow discussion on raids conducted by a central agency.
However, Deputy Leader of Congress Legislature Party, Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi countered this by saying, when Congress was in power in 2000, the BJP had moved an adjournment motion related to IT raids on a businessman.
The Deputy Leader also said it was strange that the BJP had adopted one policy when in Opposition and another when in power.
In a brief intervention, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said he was firmly against corruption but pointed out that there cannot be any discussion on the raids without any substance.
Earlier, following similar noisy scenes, Speaker Ishwardas Rohani had adjourned the House for half-an-hour but when they continued even after the House resumed its sitting, it forced him to adjourn the House till tomorrow morning.
Amidst these scenes, Narottam Mishra moved a resolution on the hike in fertiliser prices on which no discussion was held today as ruckus continued in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race