MP House adjourned sine die over I-T raids
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Assembly was today adjourned sine die on the third day of the Monsoon Session amid uproarious scenes after the Opposition Congress demanded a discussion on the issue of corruption in the wake of I-T raids on two businessmen.
Since the session began on July 16, the Opposition has been demanding a discussion on the I-T raids, which the government has opposed on the grounds that procedures and rules did not permit it.
Raids were conducted last month at the premises of two businessmen -- Dilip Singh Suryavanshi and Sudhir Sharma -- known to be close to the ruling BJP.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra said there could be no discussion on the raids as they were conducted by the income tax department which is a central agency and the House can discuss only matters related to the state.
On the other hand, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh said the government cannot run away from a discussion on the raids merely on technical grounds.
However, Deputy Leader of Congress Legislature Party Choudhary Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi said when Digvijay Singh was the chief minister in 2000, the same BJP had moved an adjournment motion to discuss I-T raids at the premises of a businessman.
"The BJP cannot have two policies, one when it was in Opposition and the second when it is in power," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened