MP minister conducts minor`s wedding, Opposition demands removal from cabinet
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly, Ajay Singh on Friday demanded that School Education Minister Archana Chitnis be removed from the state Cabinet for organising the marriage of a minor girl. Chitnis organised the marriage under the `Kanyadan Scheme` on Friday.
In a statement, the Congress leader said the state government would lose moral right to appeal to the people to stop child marriages if a minor girl is married off at the instance of a minister. Chitnis was not available for comment.
The marriage of the girl was conducted at the behest of Chitnis at Burhanpur in her native Khandwa district, it said. Singh also demanded a criminal case be filed against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital