MP minister conducts minor`s wedding, Opposition demands removal from cabinet
Bhopal: Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly, Ajay Singh on Friday demanded that School Education Minister Archana Chitnis be removed from the state Cabinet for organising the marriage of a minor girl. Chitnis organised the marriage under the `Kanyadan Scheme` on Friday.
In a statement, the Congress leader said the state government would lose moral right to appeal to the people to stop child marriages if a minor girl is married off at the instance of a minister. Chitnis was not available for comment.
The marriage of the girl was conducted at the behest of Chitnis at Burhanpur in her native Khandwa district, it said. Singh also demanded a criminal case be filed against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'