MP: MLA, 64 others arrested in 2007 Pardhi case
Betul: Congress MLA Sukhdev Panse and about 64 others were arrested here in connection with the 2007 Pardhi case that is being probe by the CBI, police said on Tuesday.
Panse along with 64 others surrendered at the Multai police station here yesterday and police arrested them, following issuance of an arrest warrant against them by a special CBI court.
The arrested persons were taken to Jabalpur where they would be produced before the court today.
In September 2007, a woman belonging to Kunbi community was allegedly gangraped and murdered by some Pardhi tribals.
Following the incident, a large number of people, including MLA Panse, allegedly attacked and set afire the houses of Pardhi tribals in Chouthia Dhana village.
Two tribals were allegedly killed in the attack.
A case was registered against unidentified persons by the local police at that time.
Later, social activist Anurag Modi had filed a complaint in the High Court.
In 2009, the High Court had ordered a CBI probe in the case after which the premier investigation agency registered an FIR under various sections of the IPC, identified the accused persons, including the elected representatives, and submitted its report in the special court.
The court then issued an arrest warrant against them and yesterday 65 persons, including the MLA, were arrested.
Six persons were arrested by the police in this regard about two months back while some others are yet to be nabbed, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY