MP: MLA, 64 others arrested in 2007 Pardhi case
Betul: Congress MLA Sukhdev Panse and about 64 others were arrested here in connection with the 2007 Pardhi case that is being probe by the CBI, police said on Tuesday.
Panse along with 64 others surrendered at the Multai police station here yesterday and police arrested them, following issuance of an arrest warrant against them by a special CBI court.
The arrested persons were taken to Jabalpur where they would be produced before the court today.
In September 2007, a woman belonging to Kunbi community was allegedly gangraped and murdered by some Pardhi tribals.
Following the incident, a large number of people, including MLA Panse, allegedly attacked and set afire the houses of Pardhi tribals in Chouthia Dhana village.
Two tribals were allegedly killed in the attack.
A case was registered against unidentified persons by the local police at that time.
Later, social activist Anurag Modi had filed a complaint in the High Court.
In 2009, the High Court had ordered a CBI probe in the case after which the premier investigation agency registered an FIR under various sections of the IPC, identified the accused persons, including the elected representatives, and submitted its report in the special court.
The court then issued an arrest warrant against them and yesterday 65 persons, including the MLA, were arrested.
Six persons were arrested by the police in this regard about two months back while some others are yet to be nabbed, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?