MP: Muslims want Congress to nominate a local face
Bhopal: Muslim bodies in Madhya Pradesh
are of the view that the party high command nominate a "local"
candidate to Rajya Sabha in the wake of the poll debacle in
Uttar Pradesh and ahead of the state Assembly elections next
Some Congress leaders too are backing the demand.
"Muslims have always reposed faith in Congress since
independence and now the time has come for the party to oblige
Muslims by offering Rajya Sabha seat from Madhya Pradesh," a
senior community leader said.
Muslim organisations yesterday evening held a meeting
at Kamla Park here to "impress" upon Congress president Sonia
Gandhi to nominate a Muslim to Rajya Sabha, polls for which
will be held on March 30.
The notification for election to five Rajya Sabha
seats was recently issued ahead of the retirement of incumbent
members, namely Meghraj Jain (elected unopposed after Arjun
Singh?s death), Narayan Singh, Vikram Singh, Kaptan Singh and
Anusuiya Uike. Madhya Pradesh has 11 seats in the Rajya Sabha.
"We should propose only those who are grassroot
leaders of the party," said Madhya Pradesh Congress Minority
Department leader Mohammed Idrees Khan.
During the meeting, few names, including that of
senior Congress leaders Syed Sajid Ali, Arif Masood, Shahnawaz
Khan, Mehrunnisa Parvez and Musarrat Shahid, who is the
chairperson of National Minorities Finance Corporation, were
The demand was endorsed by the district Congress
president P C Sharma.
The leaders also decided to send a delegation to Delhi
to meet Sonia Gandhi and B K Hari Prasad, In-charge Madhya
Pradesh, and apprised them about the demand.
"Time has come for the Central leadership to choose a
Muslim candidate from Madhya Pradesh and not from outside,"
senior Congress leader Syed Sajid Ali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption