MP: Police arrest driver of slain journalist
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh police on Thursday claimed to have cracked the murder case of journalist Chandrika Rai and his family members by arresting the 31-year-old driver employed with the scribe.
The Special Task Force (STF) which was entrusted with the investigations also sought to shoot down its earlier claim that the scribe was killed by a gang of kidnappers whom he was blackmailing.
"Ramesh Yadav, who was employed with the slain scribe since September last killed Rai along with his wife, son and daughter and decamped with Rs 22,000 in cash, 22 tolas of gold and half-kg of silver after the murders...He was arrested yesterday," the Additional DG, STF, Sanjay Choudhary and
Additional DG, CID, M R Krishna told a press conference today.
"Right now, we are in a position to say that the killings have nothing to do with any kidnapping," they said. Rai along with his wife Durga, son Jalaj and daughter Nisha was allegedly bludgeoned to death with iron rod by Yadav
at his house in Umaria town on the intervening night of Februay 17-18.
"Yadav was identified from the footage at the ATM from where he withdrew Rs 3,000 using the stolen card belonging to the journalist, a day after committing the crime," Choudhary said.
The arrest came in the background of the investigating team exploring a number of possibilities behind the crime, including the one that a gang responsible for kidnapping the son of a PWD engineer was responsible for the killings since Rai was allegedly blackmailing them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical