MP: Police arrest driver of slain journalist
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh police on Thursday claimed to have cracked the murder case of journalist Chandrika Rai and his family members by arresting the 31-year-old driver employed with the scribe.
The Special Task Force (STF) which was entrusted with the investigations also sought to shoot down its earlier claim that the scribe was killed by a gang of kidnappers whom he was blackmailing.
"Ramesh Yadav, who was employed with the slain scribe since September last killed Rai along with his wife, son and daughter and decamped with Rs 22,000 in cash, 22 tolas of gold and half-kg of silver after the murders...He was arrested yesterday," the Additional DG, STF, Sanjay Choudhary and
Additional DG, CID, M R Krishna told a press conference today.
"Right now, we are in a position to say that the killings have nothing to do with any kidnapping," they said. Rai along with his wife Durga, son Jalaj and daughter Nisha was allegedly bludgeoned to death with iron rod by Yadav
at his house in Umaria town on the intervening night of Februay 17-18.
"Yadav was identified from the footage at the ATM from where he withdrew Rs 3,000 using the stolen card belonging to the journalist, a day after committing the crime," Choudhary said.
The arrest came in the background of the investigating team exploring a number of possibilities behind the crime, including the one that a gang responsible for kidnapping the son of a PWD engineer was responsible for the killings since Rai was allegedly blackmailing them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy