MP: Sand mafia attack police, get away with seized vehicle
Morena (MP): Suspected members of sand mining mafia on Saturday allegedly attacked police and fled away with a sand-laden tractor-trolley seized by the cops in the district.
According to police, they had got information that some persons were illegally carrying sand in tractor-trolleys from Jahargaon in Chambal Ghadiyal sanctuary area under Saray Chhola police station this morning.
Following the tip-off, police managed to seize one of the tractor-trolleys and arrested its driver.
However, after some time, members of the sand mafia came to the spot in large numbers and attacked the police with stones and fled away with their seized vehicle, police said adding Saray Chhola police station in-charge PN Pal was injured in the incident.
Although eyewitnesses claimed that police had opened fire in the air to resist the attackers, police have denied doing so.
Superintendent of Police Sanjay Kumar Singh said that the sand mafia members could escape, as there were only a few police personnel at the site.
He, however, added that those involved in the incident would be nabbed soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest