MP sends proposal to Centre for DNA test lab in Bh
Sagar (MP): Madhya Pradesh government has sent a proposal to the Centre for setting up a DNA test laboratory in Bhopal in view of the huge number of cases being received by Sagar-based state forensic science laboratory.
"Following amendments in the CrPC`s Sections 153 (A) and 163 (A), it has become mandatory to conduct DNA tests of the samples collected from victim under Section 376 (rape) of the IPC.
"In view of the above there is a substantial increase in the number of cases being referred for DNA tests at the FSL and therefore, the state government has sent a proposal sometime back to the Union Home Ministry for setting up a DNA test laboratory at Bhopal-based Regional Forensic Science Laboratory unit," FSL director Dr M K Varma said on Thursday.
The government has also sent a proposal to start three new FSL units at the police range level in Chambal, Balaghat and Ujjain ranges.
Once these units come into existence, it will not only help in speedy trial of court cases but also save a lot of money currently being spent by the government on making arrangements for sending samples to Sagar for testing, Varma said.
The Union Home Minister has already given approval to set up FSL units in Jabalpur and Rewa ranges, besides the existing ones at Bhopal, Indore and Gwalior.
The government has also allocated land for setting up FSL unit at Jabalpur and Rewa, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened