MP to provide loans to farmers at 1% interest rate
Bhopal: In the wake of reports of farmers
committing suicides in Madhya Pradesh due to crop failure and
mounting debts, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Saturday
announced that the state will give loans to farmers at one per
cent interest rate from next fiscal.
"Madhya Pradesh will be the first state in the country to
provide loans to farmers at one per cent interest rate from
the next financial year," Chouhan said in a meeting with
farmers` delegation at his residence here.
The Chief Minister also announced that from now on,
compensation will be given "crop-wise".
For instance, for tuar and vegetables, the farmers will
get a compensation of Rs 11,000 per hectare if crop is
damaged, while for a fruit-bearing tree, it will be Rs 350
The government has also decided to waive interest on
loans to farmers for the current year, while it will be three
per cent on the existing loans from the next year, he said.
As to the loans given by unlicensed money-lenders, he
said that those who try to recover dues forcibly from the
farmers will be "sent to jail".
The government is going to fix the rate of interest for
the loans offered by the licenced money-lenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31