MP to set up courts to try crimes against women
Jabalpur: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Thursday expressed concern over growing incidents of crime against women and announced that 52 session courts and 86 lower courts will be established in the state for speedy trials of such cases.
After discussing the issue with the State High Court Chief Justice Sharad Arvind Bobade and other members of the judiciary, he told reporters that among these 86 lower courts, 43 will be established this year, while the rest would be set up next year.
The state government will set up courts at the district and tehsil level for trials a day-to-day basis to curb crime against women.
He said the government is planning to ensure that a rape victim`s medical examination should be conducted within 24 hours, so that the investigation and chargesheet are submitted in court within 15 days to ensure that justice is delivered within 60 days.
He said cases related to crime against women were pending in nine districts namely, Indore, Bhopal, Tikamgarh, Jabalpur, Chhindwara, Raisen, Betul, Rewa and Satna, adding that special judges will be appointed for speedy trials.
A committee comprising members of high court and the state government will be constituted to look into setting up of electronic courts or e-courts, so that prisoners do not have to be ferried to courts for appearing in trials, he said.
He said efforts would be made to appoint capable people to the post of public prosecutors, when he was told that the accused get sentenced only in 34 per cent of the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video