MP to set up courts to try crimes against women
Jabalpur: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Thursday expressed concern over growing incidents of crime against women and announced that 52 session courts and 86 lower courts will be established in the state for speedy trials of such cases.
After discussing the issue with the State High Court Chief Justice Sharad Arvind Bobade and other members of the judiciary, he told reporters that among these 86 lower courts, 43 will be established this year, while the rest would be set up next year.
The state government will set up courts at the district and tehsil level for trials a day-to-day basis to curb crime against women.
He said the government is planning to ensure that a rape victim`s medical examination should be conducted within 24 hours, so that the investigation and chargesheet are submitted in court within 15 days to ensure that justice is delivered within 60 days.
He said cases related to crime against women were pending in nine districts namely, Indore, Bhopal, Tikamgarh, Jabalpur, Chhindwara, Raisen, Betul, Rewa and Satna, adding that special judges will be appointed for speedy trials.
A committee comprising members of high court and the state government will be constituted to look into setting up of electronic courts or e-courts, so that prisoners do not have to be ferried to courts for appearing in trials, he said.
He said efforts would be made to appoint capable people to the post of public prosecutors, when he was told that the accused get sentenced only in 34 per cent of the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried