MP tribal minister Vijay Shah quits over sexist remarks
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Tribal and Scheduled Caste Welfare Minister Vijay Shah, who had courted a major controversy over his alleged `sexist remarks` that even left the ruling BJP government red faced, tendered his resignation to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Wednesday.
According to reports, Shah quit after the opposition parties led by Congress took to streets demanding his removal.
The alleged sexist remarks were made by Shah while addressing a function in tribal-dominated Jhabua district two days ago.
Addressing a summer camp organised for tribal girls in Jhabua district, Shah allegedly made indecent comments against Nirmala Bhuria and the chief minister`s wife Sadhna Singh.
"Not just one, there are two Nirmala Bhurias. I asked Nirmala Bhuriaji, who is the woman next to you. She said Nirmala Bhuria. I realised that in Jhabua, there is an offer going on, buy one get one free. It is like one in the market," he said.
"Nirmala Bhuria said I have also studied but only till April but not in May and June as it is really hot at that time... Do women feel hot? Really ? Brothers, what do you think? Is it true?" he quipped.
"Our second Nirmalaji was quiet... She did not like it that Rs.5 lakh were given. Don`t worry at all madam, we are arranging Rs.10 crore for you. Now smile please. (laughs amidst applause). Don`t be so tense. If Nirmalaji would not laugh the money would be cancelled," Shah reportedly said.
What raised the hackles of BJP was a passing reference Shah allegedly made about the wife of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan during his speech.
"The party has taken the issue seriously and it is totally unacceptable to it. We have asked him (Shah) to clarify his position on the matter,” BJP president Narendra Singh Tomar said earlier.
Shah later tendered an apology and accused the media of "misconstruing" his remarks by taking them out of context.
"If anyone felt offended by my speech, I apologise ten times. Whatever I said was in a lighter vein but it was distorted by the media", he said.
However, Shah`s apology failed to cool the tempers with opposition Congress taking to streets against his "derogatory" remarks.
The women wing of state Congress burnt his effigies at Jhabua, Indore, Bhopal and Khandwa among other places even as the State Women Congress president Archana Jaiswal demanded immediate sacking of the minister and also questioned the "silence" of leaders of BJP women wing on the issue.
State Congress president Kantilal Bhuria and the Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh said "The episode has exposed Chouhan`s much publicised respect for women".
"If he (Chouhan) has any concern for women`s respect, then he should immediately dismiss the minister from the cabinet", they said addressing a party rally in Mandla district on Tuesday.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview