MPPEB case: MP CM says he will take `sanyas` if charges proved
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who is under fire from opposition Congress in connection with the alleged MPPEB scam, today told the state Assembly that he will not only quit politics "but will take sanyas" if allegations being levelled by opposition against him and his family are proved.
"I will not only quit politics but also will renounce this world if even a single allegation is proved right against me and my family," Chouhan said during debate on an adjournment motion moved by Congress for discussing the alleged Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board scam, involving the "high and mighty."
As the chief minister started responding to the charges levelled by the opposition earlier in the day and explained the reasons why the government entrusted the MPPEB with the responsibility to conduct the recruitment exams, Congress members created a ruckus by raising slogans and later staged a sit-in in the well of the House.
Congress members got enraged when Chouhan took out a notesheet purportedly written by a former chief minister belonging to Congress.
"Then Congress chief minister had turned a private school into a government one in Tiwni village in Rewa district where the members of a senior Congress leader were already employed on various posts including teaching," Chouhan said.
Though Chouhan mentioned the name of the then chief minister, it was expunged by the Speaker. Chouhan said his wife had to suffer despite being innocent because of the "baseless" allegations levelled against her by the opposition in connection with MPPEB issue.
"She underwent a lot of pain because of these baseless allegations only because she is the wife of chief minister. They (opposition) were unable to prove even a single charge against me," he said.
Explaining the reason why his government entrusted the responsibility to conduct exams for government posts to MPPEB, Chouhan said, "A former chief minister used to write on a piece of paper that `all rules should be relaxed for appointing a particular person to the particular post..`".
At this moment, Congress members became agitated and squatted in the Well raising slogans demanding a CBI probe into the "MPPEB scam" and did not let Chouhan complete his speech.
When the Congress members did not heed to Speaker Sitasharan Sharma`s plea to go back to their seats, the Chair adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
As the House re-assembled, Congress members again created a din and continued with the sit-in following which the Speaker adjourned the House for the day after ruling that the chief minister will continue his speech tomorrow.
Leader of the Opposition Satyadev Katare later told reporters that Congress will not budge until the chief minister agrees for a CBI probe into the scam.
On the references made by Chouhan to two Congress chief ministers, Katare said, "Let the government order a CBI inquiry and probe these issues as well."
Making light of Chouhan`s announcement to take `sanyas`, Katare said, "Earlier also Chouhan had made a vow to not marry and stood in river Narmada, but later he got married."
Chouhan later told reporters that all allegations levelled against him were baseless and misleading. "I will reply to each one of them on the floor of the House," he said.
He criticised the opposition for "running away" from the debate on the issues raised by them without listening to him.
"It has become a habit of Congress and since they don`t have any issue against government, they are targetting me only to malign my image," Chouhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly