MPPEB scam: Cong says STF working under pressure from MP CM
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Congress on Tuesday alleged that the Special Task Force (STF), probing the MP Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam, was going soft on former state minister Laxmikant Sharma on the instructions of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
Sharma, former higher and technical education minister, had appeared before the task force yesterday.
"The manner in which STF questioned Laxmikant Sharma, gives a clear indication that the Chief Minister wants the agency to go soft on the accused, who has connections with the BJP," State Congress spokesperson JP Dhanopia said in a statement here yesterday.
He alleged that speculations were rife that Sharma had threatened to name all those involved in the scam if he was arrested.
"He (Sharma) said he would name all those involved in the scam, in which exchange of money in lieu of favour was done in various examinations conducted by the MPPEB. That is why the STF did not arrest Sharma," the Congress leader charged.
The STF had registered an FIR against Sharma and others some time back in connection with the scam for the appointment of contractual teachers and also other government services, Dhanopia added.
He also alleged that a few days back the state DGP Nandan Dubey had visited BJP Vice-President and ex-chief minister Uma Bharti`s house to mollify her, after her name cropped up in the FIR in connection with the scam.
"This is also an example as to how STF works under pressure," he said.
The MPPEB scam came to light in July this year after alleged irregularities were found in the state`s Pre-Medical Test (PMT) and in recruitment for various government posts, including contractual teachers.
The state government had yesterday rejected the demand for a CBI inquiry into the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...