MPPEB scam: Cong says STF working under pressure from MP CM
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Congress on Tuesday alleged that the Special Task Force (STF), probing the MP Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam, was going soft on former state minister Laxmikant Sharma on the instructions of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
Sharma, former higher and technical education minister, had appeared before the task force yesterday.
"The manner in which STF questioned Laxmikant Sharma, gives a clear indication that the Chief Minister wants the agency to go soft on the accused, who has connections with the BJP," State Congress spokesperson JP Dhanopia said in a statement here yesterday.
He alleged that speculations were rife that Sharma had threatened to name all those involved in the scam if he was arrested.
"He (Sharma) said he would name all those involved in the scam, in which exchange of money in lieu of favour was done in various examinations conducted by the MPPEB. That is why the STF did not arrest Sharma," the Congress leader charged.
The STF had registered an FIR against Sharma and others some time back in connection with the scam for the appointment of contractual teachers and also other government services, Dhanopia added.
He also alleged that a few days back the state DGP Nandan Dubey had visited BJP Vice-President and ex-chief minister Uma Bharti`s house to mollify her, after her name cropped up in the FIR in connection with the scam.
"This is also an example as to how STF works under pressure," he said.
The MPPEB scam came to light in July this year after alleged irregularities were found in the state`s Pre-Medical Test (PMT) and in recruitment for various government posts, including contractual teachers.
The state government had yesterday rejected the demand for a CBI inquiry into the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise