MPPEB scam: Cong says STF working under pressure from MP CM
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Congress on Tuesday alleged that the Special Task Force (STF), probing the MP Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam, was going soft on former state minister Laxmikant Sharma on the instructions of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
Sharma, former higher and technical education minister, had appeared before the task force yesterday.
"The manner in which STF questioned Laxmikant Sharma, gives a clear indication that the Chief Minister wants the agency to go soft on the accused, who has connections with the BJP," State Congress spokesperson JP Dhanopia said in a statement here yesterday.
He alleged that speculations were rife that Sharma had threatened to name all those involved in the scam if he was arrested.
"He (Sharma) said he would name all those involved in the scam, in which exchange of money in lieu of favour was done in various examinations conducted by the MPPEB. That is why the STF did not arrest Sharma," the Congress leader charged.
The STF had registered an FIR against Sharma and others some time back in connection with the scam for the appointment of contractual teachers and also other government services, Dhanopia added.
He also alleged that a few days back the state DGP Nandan Dubey had visited BJP Vice-President and ex-chief minister Uma Bharti`s house to mollify her, after her name cropped up in the FIR in connection with the scam.
"This is also an example as to how STF works under pressure," he said.
The MPPEB scam came to light in July this year after alleged irregularities were found in the state`s Pre-Medical Test (PMT) and in recruitment for various government posts, including contractual teachers.
The state government had yesterday rejected the demand for a CBI inquiry into the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning