MP`s open jail with small houses to be functional from June
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh`s first open jail
with 25 small houses for prisoners and their families is
likely to become functional at adjoining Hoshangabad district
from next month, officials said.
"Around 25 convicts have almost been picked up to be
placed in the nominal security manned open jail spread over an
area of 17 acres situated on Pipariya road in Hoshangabad,"
Additional Inspector General of Prison, Madhya Pradesh, A K
Khare said Wednesday.
He said that the jail will be the first of its kind to
house convicts and their families has come up at a cost of
over Rs three crore.
Each small house in the open jail has two rooms, a
kitchen and a toilet, the AIG said.
The convicts and their family members will be free to
work outside but the prisoners have to return to the jail in
the evening, Khare said.
He said that the convicts, who have undergone 14 years
of their sentences with remission will be kept in the open
He said Rajasthan had the maximum number of 10 open
jails followed by Maharashtra with three, Gujarat and Andhra
Pradesh with two each.
Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Orissa, Punjab, Tamil
Nadu, Uttarakhand and West Bengal have got one open prison
each, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report