Muslim body criticises Cong leader Aslam Sher Khan
Bhopal: The Minorities United Organisation on Monday accused senior Congress leader and former hockey player Aslam Sher Khan of merely doing a lip service to the cause of Muslims.
"Khan should spell out what he had done for Muslims when he was the minister of state in the PMO. Aslam was a renowned hockey player but had done nothing for the game by way of opening academies for nurturing hockey talent in the country," alleged Minorities United Organisation General Secretary Azmat Shah Makki in a press conference here.
Dubbing Khan as an "opportunist politician", Makki said Khan stayed with Congress even after the demolition of the Babri Masjid and left the party only for his personal gains and not for the community.
Khan was elected to the 8th Lok Sabha in 1984 as a Congress MP from Betul constituency in the state. He was re-elected to the 10th Lok Sabha from the same constituency in 1991 but lost in 1996.
In 2004, he contested from Bhopal Lok Sabha constituency as an NCP candidate but lost again. In 2009, he contested from Sagar Lok Sabha constituency as a Congress candidate but could not win.
Makki said Khan should answer 10 questions on what he has done for the general welfare of the community.
"Even though Shivraj Singh Chouhan government had refused to implement the recommendations of the Sachar Committee and yet Khan praised him. This alone shows how much of a well-wisher he is of the minorities and how much loyal he is to the Congress," Makki added.
Meanwhile, when contacted Khan said he would respond to the allegations soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video