Naqvi arrested in Rampur, gets bail after five hours
Rampur: BJP MP Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi along with 19 party activists were arrested here after a local court rejected their bail plea in a case of breach of prohibitory orders and unlawful assembly during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
They were, however, freed nearly five hours later after being granted bail by Acting District Judge Gopal Shankar Pathak.
Naqvi and 19 BJP activists earlier yesterday surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate praying for bail but their application was rejected and they were sent to judicial custody.
The case relates to a demonstration by BJP workers led by Naqvi at Patwai area of Rampur parliamentary constituency at the time of campaigning for the last Lok Sabha polls during which they allegedly breached the prohibitory orders in force and barged into a police station.
Naqvi and others were charged under various sections of the IPC and Criminal Law Amendment Act including those related to unlawful assembly.
Naqvi`s counsel moved the Acting District Judge`s court later in the day after which the relief was granted to him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark