Naqvi arrested in Rampur, gets bail after five hours
Rampur: BJP MP Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi along with 19 party activists were arrested here after a local court rejected their bail plea in a case of breach of prohibitory orders and unlawful assembly during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
They were, however, freed nearly five hours later after being granted bail by Acting District Judge Gopal Shankar Pathak.
Naqvi and 19 BJP activists earlier yesterday surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate praying for bail but their application was rejected and they were sent to judicial custody.
The case relates to a demonstration by BJP workers led by Naqvi at Patwai area of Rampur parliamentary constituency at the time of campaigning for the last Lok Sabha polls during which they allegedly breached the prohibitory orders in force and barged into a police station.
Naqvi and others were charged under various sections of the IPC and Criminal Law Amendment Act including those related to unlawful assembly.
Naqvi`s counsel moved the Acting District Judge`s court later in the day after which the relief was granted to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar