Naqvi arrested in Rampur, gets bail after five hours
Rampur: BJP MP Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi along with 19 party activists were arrested here after a local court rejected their bail plea in a case of breach of prohibitory orders and unlawful assembly during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
They were, however, freed nearly five hours later after being granted bail by Acting District Judge Gopal Shankar Pathak.
Naqvi and 19 BJP activists earlier yesterday surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate praying for bail but their application was rejected and they were sent to judicial custody.
The case relates to a demonstration by BJP workers led by Naqvi at Patwai area of Rampur parliamentary constituency at the time of campaigning for the last Lok Sabha polls during which they allegedly breached the prohibitory orders in force and barged into a police station.
Naqvi and others were charged under various sections of the IPC and Criminal Law Amendment Act including those related to unlawful assembly.
Naqvi`s counsel moved the Acting District Judge`s court later in the day after which the relief was granted to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof