Naqvi arrested in Rampur, gets bail after five hours
Rampur: BJP MP Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi along with 19 party activists were arrested here after a local court rejected their bail plea in a case of breach of prohibitory orders and unlawful assembly during the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
They were, however, freed nearly five hours later after being granted bail by Acting District Judge Gopal Shankar Pathak.
Naqvi and 19 BJP activists earlier yesterday surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate praying for bail but their application was rejected and they were sent to judicial custody.
The case relates to a demonstration by BJP workers led by Naqvi at Patwai area of Rampur parliamentary constituency at the time of campaigning for the last Lok Sabha polls during which they allegedly breached the prohibitory orders in force and barged into a police station.
Naqvi and others were charged under various sections of the IPC and Criminal Law Amendment Act including those related to unlawful assembly.
Naqvi`s counsel moved the Acting District Judge`s court later in the day after which the relief was granted to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender