Narendra Modi to address BJP workers meeting in Bhopal on September 25
Bhopal: Seeking to clear the air following a reported statement by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, state BJP on Monday said Narendra Modi was the "most popular leader" of the country and would be addressing a conclave of party workers here on September 25.
"Modiji will be arriving here on September 25 to take part in Karyakarta Mahakumbh," said state unit BJP president Narendra Singh Tomar.
He was speaking to reporters after a BJP meeting was inaugurated by the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj earlier in the day.
Tomar said the September 25 conclave will be held to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya, one of the prominent leaders of Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the forerunner of the present day Bharatiya Janata Party.
To a query on reports that Chouhan had suggested that the announcement anointing Gujarat Chief Minister Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial nominee be put off till Assembly elections due in five state are over, Tomar said, "There`s no question of Madhya Pradesh BJP avoiding Modi. He is the most popular leader of the country".
He said Chouhan had already clarified his position on the issue.
"Any decision on the issue of declaring Modi as prime ministerial candidate will be taken by BJP`s Parliamentary Board and whatever the decision it will be acceptable to all," Tomar said.
When asked if Modi`s official anointment for the top job would have any bearing on BJP going to polls later this year in Madhya Pradesh, Tomar quipped, "People will come to know the difference when it (the decision on Modi) will be taken".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report