Narendra Modi to address BJP workers meeting in Bhopal on September 25
Bhopal: Seeking to clear the air following a reported statement by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, state BJP on Monday said Narendra Modi was the "most popular leader" of the country and would be addressing a conclave of party workers here on September 25.
"Modiji will be arriving here on September 25 to take part in Karyakarta Mahakumbh," said state unit BJP president Narendra Singh Tomar.
He was speaking to reporters after a BJP meeting was inaugurated by the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj earlier in the day.
Tomar said the September 25 conclave will be held to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya, one of the prominent leaders of Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the forerunner of the present day Bharatiya Janata Party.
To a query on reports that Chouhan had suggested that the announcement anointing Gujarat Chief Minister Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial nominee be put off till Assembly elections due in five state are over, Tomar said, "There`s no question of Madhya Pradesh BJP avoiding Modi. He is the most popular leader of the country".
He said Chouhan had already clarified his position on the issue.
"Any decision on the issue of declaring Modi as prime ministerial candidate will be taken by BJP`s Parliamentary Board and whatever the decision it will be acceptable to all," Tomar said.
When asked if Modi`s official anointment for the top job would have any bearing on BJP going to polls later this year in Madhya Pradesh, Tomar quipped, "People will come to know the difference when it (the decision on Modi) will be taken".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India