Naxal attack: Congress observes bandh in MP
Bhopal: The day-long Madhya Pradesh bandh call given by the Congress to protest Saturday`s Naxal attack on its leaders in Chhattisgarh was a success, the party said.
"Barring few incidents of police action against the Congress workers, the bandh was successful throughout the state," state Congress media department chairman Manak Agrawal said.
The bandh was from morning to 2 in the afternoon.
Reports from Indore, Jabalpur, Gwalior, Rewa, Ujjain, Dhar, Guna and Bhopal regions said that people on their own supported the bandh,
Agrawal said, adding that essential services had been left out.
In the state capital Bhopal, minor clashes took place between police and Congress workers in MP Nagar area and some workers were injured, he said.
He also demanded that Government should provide `Z` category security to the state Congress chief Kantilal Bhuria and the Leader of Opposition in Assembly Ajay Singh in view of threat to the lives of these leaders.
On May 25, Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s south Bastar area, killing 27 people including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh, Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar, and injuring 32 others, including former Union Minister V C Shukla.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites