Naxal attack: Congress observes bandh in MP
Bhopal: The day-long Madhya Pradesh bandh call given by the Congress to protest Saturday`s Naxal attack on its leaders in Chhattisgarh was a success, the party said.
"Barring few incidents of police action against the Congress workers, the bandh was successful throughout the state," state Congress media department chairman Manak Agrawal said.
The bandh was from morning to 2 in the afternoon.
Reports from Indore, Jabalpur, Gwalior, Rewa, Ujjain, Dhar, Guna and Bhopal regions said that people on their own supported the bandh,
Agrawal said, adding that essential services had been left out.
In the state capital Bhopal, minor clashes took place between police and Congress workers in MP Nagar area and some workers were injured, he said.
He also demanded that Government should provide `Z` category security to the state Congress chief Kantilal Bhuria and the Leader of Opposition in Assembly Ajay Singh in view of threat to the lives of these leaders.
On May 25, Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s south Bastar area, killing 27 people including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh, Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar, and injuring 32 others, including former Union Minister V C Shukla.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating