NBA to protest compensation to dam-hit farmers
Bhopal: Dissatisfied over the compensation awarded by the Madhya Pradesh government to farmers affected by the construction of Omkareshwar dam, Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) on Sunday decided to launch a `satyagraha` on the issue from June 18.
Terming the announcement for the farmers as a violation of Supreme Court ruling and the Rehabilitation and Resettlement Policy of the government, NBA activist Alok Agrawal announced to stage `Narmada Jeevan Adhikar Satyagraha` from June 18-22 in the state capital.
"While we wholeheartedly welcome the compensation of Rs 2.5 lakh for the landless families, the additional Rs two lakh per acre grant for farmers (land owners) is inadequate and in violation of the Supreme Court ruling and rehabilitation policy," the NBA leader told reporters.
The state government recently announced a package of Rs 212 crore for the oustees of Omkareshwar Dam following the formation of a ministerial committee that was constituted in the aftermath of `Jal-Satyagraha` protests by the affected persons in 2012.
"The announcement of Rs 212 crore package is a huge victory for the landless oustees," he said.
Referring to the compensation awarded to land owners (farmers), he said, "The package for the farmers is in violation of the orders and judgements of the Supreme Court and the Rehabilitation Policy of the government."
He said that as per the Rehabilitation Policy, each displaced farmer is to be allotted a minimum of five acre of agriculture land with a minimum of two hectare of irrigated one, but it was not being followed.
Secondly, the grant of additional Rs two lakh in addition to what they have got earlier is much below the current market rates and with that amount they won`t be able to buy any land.
He also termed as `unlawful` the condition of eviction from the submergence area by July 15 for availing compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report