NCPCR for probe in charges of sex-change surgeries
New Delhi: Taking cognisance of the media
report that several clinics at Indore in Madhya Pradesh are
performing sex-change surgeries on baby girls, the National
Commission for Protection of Child Rights has asked the state
government to conduct a probe into the allegation.
The NCPCR has asked the state government to submit
within 15 days a detailed report, providing all facts,
figures and circumstances of the case.
It has also asked the state government to provide the
list of doctors and hospitals carrying out the alleged
practice and details of actions taken or contemplated against
"The state government has also been asked to take all
necessary actions for combating the unethical practices of
conversion of girls into boys, including cancellation of the
licence/registration of doctors and hospitals involved in such
practices," the Ministry of Women and Child Welfare said in a
According to the newspaper report, several hospitals
in Indore are carrying out hundreds of such operations on baby
girls every year. The procedure, known as genitoplasty, costs
around Rs 1.5 lakh and is performed on children just above
Calling it a "shocking trend", the NCPCR said such
surgeries, which are performed without the consent of the
girls, amounts to "child rights violations in terms of
perpetuation of the age old preferences for boys and biases
against girl child.
It`s also a "discrimination against the female child"
and a violation of "right to health, right to life and dignity
and the whole process being highly unethical", it said.
The Commission also wanted to know what measures the
state government has taken in terms of publicity or awareness
campaign against the adverse effects of sex change operations
as well as female foeticide and infanticide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley