NGO burns effigy of Dow Chemical, govt, IOC
Bhopal: An NGO working for the cause of Union Carbide gas leak disaster on Saturday hanged and burnt effigies of International Olympic Committee for Dow Chemical`s sponsorship of the sporting event, being held in London.
NGO Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangthan also burnt effigies of Dow Chemical, Union and Madhya Pradesh governments.
The NGO convener Abdul Jabbar said both the Centre and the state government did nothing to ensure that a delegation from India does not take part in the London Olympics.
"Despite our opposition, nothing has happened and Dow Chemcial continues to sponsor London Olympics," he said.
Activists working for the victims of the 1984 gas leak tragedy are opposed to Dow Chemical as the company acquired Union Carbide later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened