NHRC notice to Centre, MP govt over dam projects
Khandwa: The National Human Rights Commission has sent notices to the Centre and the Madhya Pradesh government with regard to the rehabilitation of those affected by the Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar projects.
Around 11,000 families affected by the Sardar Sarovar Project have been rehabilitated in Gujarat but nothing of that kind has been done in Madhya Pradesh, the NHRC notice said.
The NHRC has issued the notice to the Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Union Environment Ministry and Narmada Valley Development Authority, and sought a reply within seven days.
Thousands of families were being submerged without being given proper rehabilitation for the Omkareshwar and Indira Sagar projects, the notice said.
The villagers affected by the two projects in the state had recently observed a `Jal Satyagraha` to demand land as compensation and reduction in height of the dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof