NHRC notice to Centre, MP govt over dam projects
Khandwa: The National Human Rights Commission has sent notices to the Centre and the Madhya Pradesh government with regard to the rehabilitation of those affected by the Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar projects.
Around 11,000 families affected by the Sardar Sarovar Project have been rehabilitated in Gujarat but nothing of that kind has been done in Madhya Pradesh, the NHRC notice said.
The NHRC has issued the notice to the Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Union Environment Ministry and Narmada Valley Development Authority, and sought a reply within seven days.
Thousands of families were being submerged without being given proper rehabilitation for the Omkareshwar and Indira Sagar projects, the notice said.
The villagers affected by the two projects in the state had recently observed a `Jal Satyagraha` to demand land as compensation and reduction in height of the dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand