NHRC notice to Centre, MP govt over dam projects
Khandwa: The National Human Rights Commission has sent notices to the Centre and the Madhya Pradesh government with regard to the rehabilitation of those affected by the Indira Sagar and Omkareshwar projects.
Around 11,000 families affected by the Sardar Sarovar Project have been rehabilitated in Gujarat but nothing of that kind has been done in Madhya Pradesh, the NHRC notice said.
The NHRC has issued the notice to the Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary, Union Environment Ministry and Narmada Valley Development Authority, and sought a reply within seven days.
Thousands of families were being submerged without being given proper rehabilitation for the Omkareshwar and Indira Sagar projects, the notice said.
The villagers affected by the two projects in the state had recently observed a `Jal Satyagraha` to demand land as compensation and reduction in height of the dams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre