NHRC seeks report from MP govt on ragging case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to submit a
report within four weeks on the alleged incident of ragging of
students at a Bhopal institute at gun-point.
The NHRC has taken suo motu cognizance of a media report
alleging that some senior students of Bhopal Institute of
Technology College had ragged junior students.
The report claimed that some seniors had forcefully taken
away junior students from their residence at gun-point on the
night of May 16. According to the report, earlier the senior
students had invited the junior students to a party but they
refused to attend it.
"The juniors were brutally beaten up by the seniors in
order to teach them a lesson," the rights panel noted citing
The report further alleged that the matter was also
brought to the notice of the area police station in advance
but police did not take any action in the matter. However,
after the incident, they registered a case of simple beating.
The commission observed that the contents of the media
report, if true, raise serious issue of violation of the
guidelines issued by the Supreme Court and the University
Grants Commission on curbing the menace of ragging in higher
It issued notice to the Secretary, Education, government
of Madhya Pradesh and state Director General of Police to
submit a detailed report, fixing the responsibility for the
lapse, if any, on the part of the college authorities as well
as the police officials for not taking preventive action in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre