No democracy left owing to rampant corruption: Anna Hazare
Guna: Social activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday said there is hardly any democracy left in the country because of rampant corruption.
"People are supreme in a democracy but due to rampant corruption in which governments have done a doctorate, no democracy was left in the country," Hazare, who arrived here as part of his `Jantantra Yatra` along with the former Army chief General V K Singh and ex-MLA Sunilam, told reporters.
Despite giving in writing, the central government had not brought the Lokpal Bill as promised and thus cheated people of the country, the Gandhian alleged.
"The government has to think that it is not the king in a democracy," he said.
Welcoming the Supreme Court judgement on banning persons serving jail terms from contesting polls, Hazare said the apex court should constitute fast track courts for the trial of tainted leaders and dispose of such cases in a fixed time frame.
He said through the Jantantra Yatra, he is mobilising people in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana and now his agitation will be decisive in nature.
Hazare, however, clarified that his intention was not to remove the government but to ensure change in the system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself